Monday, February 28, 2005

Love is Love

Hi.

I am not what you would call a "political" person, nor am I a "current events" person. Actually, I get so disturbed by all the
violence, bigotry, intolerance, hatred, and terrifying events in the news, that I can barely listen to the highlights on the car radio. I hope this doesn't make you think less of me, but all I can say is... it depresses me and makes me feel overwhelmed and overemotional. And I have a life I have to live..... job, kids, home, grocery shopping, all of that. So I have to limit what I can take on internally because it will virtually throw me on the floor and exhaust me to hear too much. It's overwhelming and I feel that what is required to make things right is so enormous, and what I can do to make a difference is so small by comparison, it depresses me even more.

But when it comes to the Right of Marriage... there is no way I can lie on the floor and feel sad or disillusioned about people in general. This is an issue with a very easy solution, that is easily obtained.

Let people who want to get married, get married.

See how easy that is! No pressure, no pain, no problem! Just let people who love each other and want to make a commitment to each other get married.

People who are against marriage for all, have a lot of lame pseudo-reasons and a lot of bullshit biblical references to throw around. And I could get into all that here. And I might, at some point. But for right now, I'm going to be very vague. Partly, because I don't have all my reference material in front of me, and partly because I don't have time to write a 10 page essay right now.

But I will say this: There is no real reason to be against people getting married, unless you want one of those people for yourself and and you're not one of the one's at the altar. In which case, there is probably more going on there than we need to discuss here.

In the coming weeks, I intend to write more on this issue. I understand that there are a lot of people who don't agree with me. But there are a lot of people who do, too. If you don't agree, then move on. There are plenty of other websites to interest you. I am not interested in your comments. You won't change my mind. I'm not likely to change yours. Thus we are at an impasse.

If you are on the fence though, and you can't decide what you think is right, then please, read often. Hopefully, you will come to understand that it doesn't matter who is loving whom. What is important is that we encourage love in the world, anywhere we can. We're just people, all of us... gay, straight, trans.. just people, when it all comes down to it. We're born, we grow, we learn, we live, we die. Hopefully, somewhere in there, we love. So, why should any of us be denied that gift?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home